I got Baby’s blood results back and his Vitamin E levels have returned to normal! This is fantastic news. I was very concerned that there was something else going on that was not allowing Baby to absorb Vitamin E properly, but the treatment has proven successful. His Selenium levels are also still in normal range, so that seems to be properly consistent. Finally, the trace mineral panel also came back normal. Thankfully Baby doesn’t have copper deficiency or toxicity as feared by someone I had consulted with.
Baby’s mood and appetite seem to be regularly improving. There’s been no sudden or dramatic changes, but I believe he’s on the up ramp to getting better.
Thankfully it didn’t prove too difficult for my friend (who is a vet tech) to draw the blood. A rope was used to tie off the base of his neck, while I held his head steady. We tried once for about ten minutes before adjusting ourselves and then attempting it again. After another poke or two she found the vein and the blood flowed freely from the jugular. Despite Baby’s moaning, he was very patient and let us help him. He’s such a special boy. And my friend did a great job working on him, this being the first time she’s taken blood from a camel.
I also bagged some fresh feces to check for parasites and off we went to deliver everything to the clinic. The blood will be shipped out tomorrow to the University of Arizona and then off to Michigan State. His copper levels will be checked using a trace mineral panel and of course his Vitamin E and Selenium levels will be tested again.
His feces was already examined earlier today and Baby is negative for any parasites. I didn’t expect anything to show up, but it’s good to know he’s in the clear.
Baby is looking deceptively better since I got back from visiting my family in the midwest. Unfortunately, I think a lot of it is because he had some winter coat growth while I was gone that’s now covering up his obvious lack of muscle. Though, I cautiously noticed that he seems to be walking better on his back legs. His spirits seem higher and he was actively following me around from inside his pen in anticipation of getting some hay. There was a definite weakness about him, but no dragging of his legs behind him. He doesn’t always drag them though and sometimes his back legs seem more functional than they did just hours before.
I’ll have to watch him closely for the next few days to better decide if he’s actually improving or I just happened to keep seeing him walking better.
Tomorrow is a big day for Baby. He’ll be getting two blood draws to recheck his Vitamin E and Selenium levels and a second to test his Copper levels. The blood draws will be preformed by my friend who is a vet tech and then the vials will be driven directly to the clinic that’s treating Baby to be sent out to the lab. I tried to have the Doctor out this week, but she was completely booked and I didn’t want to let this go until next week. I’ve ordered another round of probiotics to begin to give him after the draws, just in case the stress affects his pH.
It’s getting cold here and I hope that will make Baby more comfortable. It always did make him more active.
There’s nothing else to do now, but get that blood to the lab and wait for the results.
Baby is going to have his blood drawn this Thursday to recheck his Selenium and Vitamin E levels and also to check his Copper levels. If his Vitamin E is still deficient after treatment I’ll be very concerned about what’s causing his inability to absorb Vitamin E. I hope that they’re normal now and his muscles are taking their time to rebuild. I also hope he’s not toxic or deficient in Copper, which can be very serious.
The Selenium and Vitamin E levels took three weeks to come back from the lab the first time and I was told that that isn’t that unusual. I have no idea if the results on the Copper will take that long, too. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s quicker, because if Copper levels aren’t correct, it would be imperative to treat him.
I’ll be back home on Tuesday with more updates then.